Something to Consider

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Speed of Life ~

Life has been very busy lately ~ it always seems as the school year winds down, things wind up. We've had standards of learning tests for Michelle (state tests for public education) for three weeks; involving homework on the computer every night for forty minutes taking practice tests, multiple birthday party invitations (must be cold weather adds babies...), a new hamster to help adjust to the home (God provided a cutie patootie, but he was a biter at first as he was so scared of the new digs and all the kids eager to grasp him ~ he is doing very well now; I will share his photo op at another time), my work sending many kids my way (end of the year; families want to know before next year what might be challenging their children since they haven't yet "grown out of" the issues that faced them early in the year), and my time searching many tomes related to Home Schooling in order to provide my children what they need, while seeking to alleviate my former husband's significant concerns that I do indeed have understanding and can give them all that they are supposed to be receiving from the public schools ~

We also have upcoming field trips the kids want someone to go on with them, sickness (I picked up Kari from school today, just after I had gotten home from volunteering ~ a few minutes later volunteering and timing would have been perfect!) a piano recital that coincides with vision therapy (so VT needs rescheduling), and lunches that I promised that need to be scheduled (my going in to eat with the girls). Rose's preschool ended Tuesday (I had thought Wednesday was the last day, so was scrambling for a baby sitter for Wednesday so I could work), and she helped me with my volunteer work in the library at the girls' school today. I am glad she is a calmer spirit than some of my children ~ otherwise I would have had to resign from that work before the end of the school year, and they often need it more now as the shelves become more chaotic for some reason (we haven't figured that one out). :-)

I have also been thrilled to see lots of rain, and have been eagerly planting seeds and other annuals/perennials in between the storms ~ taking advantage of the opportunities when possible since it is a smattering of days without rain. God has blessed us tremendously after a very dry season in Northern Virginia. We are grateful (well, some of us are; the people at the park yesterday weren't too happy when it began to sprinkle again, as well as get cooler around 5:30 p.m. ~ I just thought it the perfect time to wrap up and get home to make some dinner; especially since I had wanted to but the kids didn't want to leave)

All in all, a busy month that has been well worth the time spent on kids, family, work and home. Lord, keep my hastiness in body only, and may my mind continue to dwell upon you as the source and satisfaction. May I ruthlessly eliminate hurry while managing busyness ~

No comments: