Something to Consider

Saturday, May 24, 2008

I have had so many thoughts to post about lately; as is evidenced by my scattered post below ~ so many run on sentences in my head, with thoughts in multiple directions about multiple things. Gloriously, God provides respite from my thoughts by getting me involved in activities that serve rather than consume mental time. 

I had the privilege last night of listening to a man by the name of John Baxter. He is a main player in the Adventist Frontier Missions Organization. His testimony is fascinating, and his heart, beautiful ~ provoking all in listening to consider how we are serving the Lord versus being complacent in a comfort zone among fellow Christians.

Mr. Baxter was a cocaine addict, alcoholic, demon possessed multimillion dollar international banker 20 years ago when God got a hold of him. His story is nothing short amazing and certainly a magnification of God’s incredible power and grace. I found him quite likable and began thinking about our former Pastor who now serves as the national mobilizer for international missions through SIM ~ I thought they would very much enjoy one another as they had a similar dogged passion to challenge people to step up and respond to God’s call.

He shared some of his stories from serving in Hindu and Buddhist countries; he served in India for ten years with his family. During that time experienced many threats of beatings, stonings, the killing of his wife and kids, etc. but God always gave him an otherworldy peace (though did not always take from him the very real fear he experienced in many of those instances) as well as delivered him from these threats as he has stood firm in faith (sometimes while praying for more faith). He spoke passionately about how we are in a war ~ Christ is our commander in chief and we must be distrustful of ourselves, but confident in our Savior. Oh what preciously true words; How often we are so trusting in ourselves and our own resources when to put it in God’s hands would be our wisest option.

A few points he made during his sharing about God’s incredible majesty, included the falling away from Christ experienced in North America (there are more Christians in Africa now than in North America by his statistics) ~ he believes it parallels the Israelites in the Old Testament who pushed forward to conquer territories, but then settled and didn’t continue to forward push once they had defeated a few of the foes and garnered some of the promised land…so they eventually got muddled by the surrounding cultures that they had not won over. He exhorted that we are called to press on and press in. As I was listening, the verse in Matthew came to me...“the gates of Hades will not overcome us(it/the church).”

He suggested that many Christians spend too much time on the internet and in other forms of focus versus on their knees pleading with God to save others ~ he said that we all have baggage, we all have pain and needs, but if we choose not to look at ourselves but look at Jesus Christ and at serving others’ needs, the true joy will come. I was moved with compassion at these words. How often do I pray for those outside my sphere of focus? Rarely. Yet how effective is prayer? Demonstrably one of the most powerful forces in our universe; I petition the Lord, now, to lay it upon my heart to expand toward others I do not even know, outside of the city and state in which I live, outside of our government, and into the reaches of His eyes and heart, that I might fully be used to serve.

I had hoped to get back today to hear his full testimony at their church service (last night was a small gathering to share with the local SDA college students ~ many of whom feel called to go into international missions), but was unable. I hope to get a copy of the service as it has his testimony and he shared with me last night that it is so remarkable he even has a hard time believing it. I love stories that magnify God so powerfully. They renew my faith and refresh my spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even minor bacterial infections can lead to redness, soreness, and in some cases, a discharge that may exude a foul odor.Fungal Infections- The rash and irritation using the common fungal infection known as jock itch is familiar to most men. Like bacteria, the fungus that causes jock itch is known to proliferate with this warm, moist region in the sizegenetics, and without proper sizegenetics care, severe itching, redness and irritation can result.Heat Rash- Warm weather, in combination with restrictive clothing, can cause sweating and chafing, leading for the condition known as heat rash.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/