Something to Consider

Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Adventures: part 1 of 3

Wow, we had a terrific time with my family in Iowa this past week. I pray that all who are reading this had wonderful holidays as well!

Our trip started with quite an adventure. I had been anxious about getting us to the airport on time because my ten year old had auditions for her upcoming play at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday (right after my 4 year old's Thanksgiving party at her school), and we had a flight scheduled out of National Airport at 4:40 p.m. (original time ~ 5 p.m. but it was changed to 4:40 the week prior).
God provided a driver for us (National Airport is not one we usually use because it is next to DC so a longer trip from home, and parking is not as easy, either) which was a terrific blessing, and Michelle's drama instructor had her audition in the first few groups she linked together so she could have an opportunity to participate. My family picked Michelle and I up at drama right at 1:45 p.m., just minutes after she finished auditions. It was incredibly smooth and I was so grateful. We got to the airport in record time, and, because we were dropped off, were at our gate by 3:00 p.m. nearly two hours before flight departure. Since it was a non-stop flight (our first time flying non-stop to my dad's house, another incredible blessing), we were relaxed and refreshed as we waited.
Then we were told there were mechanical issues on our flight; and the flight was scheduled to depart at 6 p.m. "at the earliest" ~ but the kids took it in stride (I have to say, I was quite proud of their behaviors and attitudes). Here are some photos during this time...

We finally boarded around 6:45 or 7:00 (I can't remember), and my dad and stepmom were planning a "late" dinner with us upon arrival (two hour flight, one hour time difference) as my half-sisters were really eager to go eat at Applebees in Des Moines, Iowa. As we got settled, the stewardess announced that we would be taking on extra fuel and would be flying at 10,000 feet only since they did not have the pressure system working in the plane. It would mean some ear discomfort, some coolness, and longer flight (3 hours, 40 minutes) due to headwinds at that level. People were invited to deplane if they were not comfortable with this. We decided to stay on and roll with it. I think we took off close to 8:00 after we were cleared a runway.

Early in the flight, Bo started praying. He told me he smelled electrical burning. He also wondered why it was so hot when it was supposed to be cool. He had noticed that we had passed over an area close to our home not long before, and we wondered why we were going that direction. Shortly after, the stewardess came back out from the pilot and announced that things had gotten worse, and there were some things we needed to understand, but that she was going to let the pilot talk to us to explain it. Okay, that sounded ominous, especially given the strain on her face. I believed we might be crash landing on a belly of the plane or something and started praying with my husband more earnestly that God would give us all coverage and protection as well as illumine anything we needed to know in order to find him. He gave me assurance in my spirit and I sensed Him saying "I am not willing that any shall perish..." I felt much better, remembering that He was in charge.

The pilot got on the intercom and announced that because of mechanical failures, he was unable to keep his instruments lit for the flight and would be landing at Dulles Airport shortly (this is the airport we live closer to). We must have been circling, awaiting clearance to land. We got to the ground at 8:30 p.m. way out on the tarmack. There were no other planes near us, and fire trucks met us there. We got off and then loaded onto a shuttle that awaited us nearby (they didn't even join it with the plane). I am supposing the fear of fire was pretty strong because of all the extra fuel as well. The smell of burnt electrical stuff was pretty powerful as we deplaned. What a blessing we were safe! My kids were not so happy...

Nobody met us at the gate when we entered the airport and we were routed to our baggage claim. While Bo got the luggage I got in line with the airlines to find another flight out; praying God could place the seven of us on one early enough to get to Iowa before late Wednesday. We were blessed to get five guaranteed seats, two standby for an 8 a.m. flight on a partner airline. We were put up in a local hotel (were offered a cab home and back, but I didn't want to put the kids through the drive travel time as well as less sleep)and had a wonderful restful evening and smooth flight through Atlanta the next day, arriving in Iowa around noon their time on Wednesday. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!



1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow! I would have been terrified. I do not like to fly at all. I'm glad you landed safely. I saw some of your photos on facebook. You really resemble your dad. What a beautiful family!