Something to Consider

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Catching Up

I have been in catch up mode lately ~ wanting to close out some started projects, books, ideas, etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed "finishing" some things. There is such a great sense of freedom in doing this. In the past two weeks I have "finished" my Christmas (and birthday) shopping for nieces, nephews and sisters (so I can bring things at Thanksgiving and not worry about shipping later), I have "finished" swapping out clothing (both sizes and weather related changes) for all five kiddos, I have "finished" organizing some form of weekly routine that should last for a few more weeks before we need to change some things, and I have "finished" five books that I had started. Hallelujah!

I also finished the Bible, finally, for the first time I have ever pursued this, I have read each and every word. What a tremedous blessing that was ~ I actually recieved more than I had anticipated (I had read most of it over the years, some things over and over, others just once in awhile, but never all of it within a 9 month time frame as this time). I was so tickled by the experience that I decided to try to do the same each year from here forward. I also would like to read the gospels every six months, at least. That is my current goal (in addition to my daily devotions and such). I sense God leading me to a deeper and deeper relationship with Him through His entire Word, not just my favorite books. My heart has responded enthusiastically; I pray that my diligence responds in kind. :-)

The books I completed: Beth Moore's "Daniel" study (I finished the five days I had not completed when I did the study last spring), I tremendously enjoyed this study, and would encourage any lady to pursue it if given the chance; Charles Stanley's "Landmines in the Path of the Believer;" Joyce Meyer's "Enjoying Where You are on the way To Where You are Going;" Derek Prince's "Lucifer Exposed;" and Francis Frangipane's "Holiness, Truth and the Presence of God." I totally enjoyed these books, and have submitted myself to finishing some others that I still have at my bedside 1/2 to 3/4 completed. My problem is that I tend to find other books that take my interest and read them quickly, thus short circuiting others I have begun. I have also read (in the interim) three novels by Francine Rivers (she has become a favorite "escape" author for me).

Some quotes I enjoyed from Francis Frangipane's book:
"The Spirit leads us into the presence of Jesus...Jesus taught us that we must be single-minded if we would become full mature sons of light...our 'outer tabernacle' is our soul life; if man is still ruled by circumstances instead of God, his 'outer tabernacle' is still standing...God is not seeking to perfect us but rather our relationship with Jesus. He is our way into the Holy Place...Jesus came to reconcile us to God in the here and now." Amen?

And from Derek Prince's Book "The real distinguishing line between the world and the true church is whether people are lovers of self or whether self has been crucified and they are living for something other than themselves."

I love the encouragement I get from my reading. I pray that you, too, are encouraged. May all have a blessed Thanksgiving and be able to spend time reflecting upon all that God has provided in your lives. Many blessings. :-)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your book list is impressive. I go in spurts when it comes to reading. I can read and read at some points and not at all at other times. Right now I'm in a dry spell. Haven't picked up a book, except the Bible, in months.

I really like the quote from Derek Prince.