Something to Consider

Monday, September 15, 2008

Third Day...

Last night was a benefit concert for Habitat for Humanity. Bands included Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and Third Day. It was a great event. All the way home, myself and the three ladies I drove with, rode in peaceful quiet (which is highly unusual for our gang).

It is truly awe-inspiring to have so many people singing scripture together in an outdoor venue. I was so blessed, many times, but particularly during some of Third Day's songs that were straight from the Word ~ back to Him...God met me there deeply during the singing of "cry out for Jesus..." ~ I almost couldn't breathe as my chest ached for more of Him and I was overwhelmed with my desire for His heart in mine ~ it was a moment I can never describe, yet will not soon forget...

I had another really cool experience with Robert Randolph's band. This was a group from the New Jersey area; they called themselves a church band from Jersey during their worship. Most of the "songs" were more music lifted high in love, versus lots of words (which was nice, easy to sing along) :-) I really enjoyed their rhythms, the lead played a mean steel guitar, and they put such heart into their playing ~ some of it struck me as discordant because it was unfamiliar, and would switch beat fairly quickly at times. I began praying that I would hear it as they intended it as I knew it was meant for worship - God met me and verses of Psalms began flowing through my mind/heart as the music was playing. It was neat! I have never experienced such a thing, but God surely did bless me with that.

Switchfoot used an incredibly talented violinest (viola, perhaps, I wasn't sure) accompanying thier band. Her music added a wonderful depth to the songs. They also had beautiful choreography during parts that was just a vivid reminder of how God can use newer electronic abilities for His good pleasure and purposes. The presentation was stunning at times.

At the end, all of the bands gathered together to play "I'll Fly Away" (one of my husband's favorite ole-timey tunes), and a song by Bono (U2) which was fun to sing along with as well. By that time, my girlfriends and I had stepped toward the back out on the lawn and we were singing and dancing in the cool night breeze (where it had been downright balmy in the pavilion and earlier), and gloriously praising God for His earth and the beauty of worship.

With much gratitude I thank my friends for calling me Thursday when the extra ticket came available. I had a blessed time not only because of the concert, but also because of the fellowship. Girlfriends are so important. Thank the Lord, oh my soul. I am blessed beyond measure.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I wish I had seen you there. Would have made the night even more special.

I'm glad you got to go.