Something to Consider

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Counting my blessings...

God has been bathing me in His goodness much lately, and I wanted to share some of the joys ~

1) First and foremost, I LOVE homeschooling. I feel so incredibly blessed, privileged and grateful for this time and opportunity. It is my daily prayer that I grow in grace and wisdom as I tend to my daughter's educational and emotional needs.

2) I have been lamenting lack of exercise. I grew up playing soccer (from six to 36 years old, several times per week; with some other sports thrown in in high school), and I miss regular exercise. I quit the gym when Michelle was a baby because of schedule needs and finances, I quit soccer when Kari was a baby because of babysitting needs and location, and I have been hopelessly inept at self-discipline for home exercise...though my intentions have always been good. In the recent weeks I had been praying that God would give me something for exercise...and He did! I started walking with my neighbor several mornings per week - as soon as Kari gets on the bus I walk down to her house (it is about seven houses away) where she is waiting, having put her son on the bus just after my daughter. We walk in the brisk morning air around the neighborhood. Our first "loop" was .7 miles (the first week). This week we have found one that is 1.7 miles. Oooh, I am blessed for the friendship, the time in fresh air, and the spring to my step that feels so good!

3) I have been desiring to take another class for years (I always love learning). I quit the programs I was involved in when I remarried because of needs at home, and had not had the time nor opportunity that worked since then for anything formal except Bible studies (which have been terrific). I still wanted something a bit more directed, and God sent something my way unexpectedly a few weeks ago. Though it is a short online course (nine weeks, I am in week three), I am so blessed to be studying with others and expanding once more in a class setting that I have been quite grateful.

4) I have been praying that God would use me to serve others; I have felt that I've been so out of touch with the joy of pouring out that I used to do so frequently and naturally. I have felt blocked from what I usually experience as free flow, and it has been disheartening...but God has recently shown me ways that I have been used to serve Him through service to some of my dear friends who are hurting/struggling/suffering for various reasons during this season in their lives. Thank YOU, Lord, that You are still choosing to use me, I am blessed!

5) I am delighting in noticing my children seeking God's truths and growing in His ways. Every time I feel that I am a complete failure in pointing them in the correct direction of dependence, faith and love, I see a glimmer of Him in one of their actions, comments, or questions which shows me that we are still on track. Oh, how the grace of that washes over me. I am ever so thankful to Him for allowing me the privilege of shepherding these young people, as well as for encouraging me with illumination of truth when I stumble or give way to fear/worry.

6) I have been feeling somewhat lonely as of late, and since that time began, my cats have become delightful companions. They used to go outside more often, but they have come and snuggled with me or laid near me in the evenings and mornings when I have been reading and resting. I have relished their comfort and sharing.

7) Last December I decided that I was going to read through the Bible, being sure not to miss a single word. I had definitely read most of it over the years, some over and over, but I sensed that I was missing some and felt a strong, albeit daunting, desire to assure myself that I could read His entire message to me. I got one of those "read the Bible in a year" checklists, and began checking (no, I didn't follow it ~ I can't read that way). I am now on my last two books; half-way through the second to last, and so thrilled that I have persevered. I am eager to begin anew with the checklist, as I want to try to do this every year (I still read the words that He is speaking to me or that I need, but I also just take time to make sure I am listening to all of it, and seek a "new book" when I am doing a devotion without forethought). I have been so blessed by this experience as well. What a pleasure it has been ~ and how He has met me throughout the time.

So, life is providing great opportunity for me to see His hand pouring out blessings in my life. I pray the same is true for you. :-)

No comments: