Something to Consider

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No School

We live in Fauquier County, Virginia ~ a county that resonates with beauty and back roads. Today we have no school. As I walked outside to get some wood for our wood stove this morning, I felt rain and coolness - but nothing more. It was only 6:15 a.m. Schools are closed because of icy conditions...????

The weather forecasts a day with temps around 34 for the low ~ so not freezing conditions. I am only using our wood stove because our heat pump is not working and any time we need heat to keep us at 68 here, the emergency/resistive heat kicks on which draws much more energy, so I am trying to keep the house warm so we don't use the emergency heat source.

Growing up in Northern Virginia while my dad was stationed at the Pentagon, I used to listen to school closings on snowy mornings and be jealous of Fauquier county as they "always" seemed to be closed. Now, I probably don't remember as much as I think I do ~ especially since I remember many more snowy winters in Virginia, and we have not had much of that lately (ice storms because of the humidity with the cooler weather, but not snow which requires the drier air).

Fauquier County DOES have many back roads and mountainous roads for buses to traverse. With trees on the sides of the roads, icy patches are more evident and dangerous. To this, I would agree. However, with todays' weather I would have expected a possible delay versus a closing. Especially since the kids JUST WENT BACK yesterday. Can you imagine the poor teachers trying to get things started again tomorrow (provided it doesn't ice up again overnight, which is shouldn't according to the weather). We still have Martin Luther King Day holiday, two half days, and two days off this month based upon the school calendar. It will be a choppy month as it is.

Michelle is home today, as well. The Classical Conversations community also closed due to icy possibilities. While she and I are both disappointed, this is probably the best thing since both of her sisters are home and I don't have a sitter available for them. They are making waffles now, and looking forward to another day of play. I desire to get Michelle to do some work, but that will be tough with the other two playing ~ praying for creative ideas as I type this ~ may those who are reading be blessed this day. I hope to get back on track with blogging as I have had lots of great thoughts that were blogged in my head over the past few weeks, just none that actually made it to the computer :-) Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Kim said...

The schools in Culpeper Co. are closed as well. It never ceases to amaze me how just the possibility of ice or snow causes school closings. Even if it never comes.
I too have had some really good blogging thoughts, but I'm sure I'll never get around to writing them down.

Scott Heine said...

Yeah, I don't get it as well. It seems like the schools are really quick to shut down here. I guess it's a "better safe than sorry" thing. At least we've finally managed to get them to pull our name off the Culpeper County school closing 5:00 AM phone blitz list. (Ugh. Nothing is worse than waking up at some unearthly hour to find out that schools are closed... when you don't have any kids that go to school in Culpeper!) :)

Unknown said...

I think that high school students driving on back roads and tree lined,windy roads are probably at the most risk, plus with the size of the County there are more areas I forget about which are higher in elevation. So, I agree with safety.

I thought I signed up for the phone calls somehow and just didn't remember, thanks for lettiing me know it was a new system. I actually like it since we need to know :-)I can understand why you all wouldn't ;-)