Something to Consider

Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm Back

Hilton Head, SC ~ our families' annual beach retreat. What a blessing it was to get away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives in Virginia, Chicago, Iowa, Denver, and Los Angeles to gather together at Barony Beach Resort in Hilton Head. I finished three books, and enjoyed the heck out of seeing my family again.

This summer has been a tough one for me; many whom I love are suffering, and my heart is breaking in parts because of my own personal challenges as well. It has been quite draining and unsettling, but through it all God remains the constant. He is my hope and my salvation, whom shall I fear?

While in Hilton Head this past week, we celebrated my dear Aunt Sharon's 60th birthday. It was so nice that she and her husband could join our gang this year, especially for such a fun occassion. My dad and stepmom had planned a surprise dinner for her at the conference resort next door. They had an incredible buffett and a great location for our large group to sit with all the kids and hang out without disturbing the rest of the diners (believe me, with 12 kids it can get pretty loud).

When she finished opening her cards and gifts, she laughed and said to me "Do you remember what you told me in the card you gave me for my 30th birthday?" Of course, I had no idea what I had written, but I knew that I had loved her so much, even then, because we had such a close relationship and she spent a lot of time with us. She went on to tell me that because she had been having some hesitation about being thirty (I was 12 at the time, so it made sense to me), I had written her a note saying "Don't worry about turning thirty, Moses lived until he was 120 so you have only lived 1/4 of your life so far!" (or something of the sort). Too funny! Of course, I decided at that moment to take this information and further assure her that this meant that she was only 1/2 way through living at this point, then. It didn't sound as comforting at 60 somehow. :-)

Oh it was such fun to be together again. Next family stop; Pella, IA for our annual thanksgiving gathering. We have been here at my home for several years, but we try to get out to Iowa every few years as my dad has a huge home there on a beautiful acreage, and the kids just have a blast. We tend to keep it here only because of the confusing logistics with my family's blended needs; everyone else would probably be happy to rotate around.

I hope those reading have also had a chance to connect with family, do something they love, and find some respite from daily life this summer. May God's face shine blessings upon you all.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm glad you're back. I missed your blogs.

I LOVE the new title.