Something to Consider

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Family photo op..


Okay, now that I have completed 1/2 the birthdays in our house, I am nearly done with "frantic" pace of life and will be posting again soon. I have been having some wonderful times that I would love to share, but haven't found time to sit at the computer (except to fix it). I can hardly believe it has been a year since I began this blog. I am doing better staying with it this time. :-)

Last August I posted about waking Michelle (my now ten year old) to observe an eclipse of the moon ~ it was glorious. Just last week, I woke her again (this time at ten fifteen p.m. instead of four a.m., which was a bit easier) and we snuggled out back to watch this year's eclipse. What a great experience. While I was sitting next to her on our chair, wrapped in two blankets and a warm coat, I remembered why I do not enjoy night skiing. I kept covering my mouth and nose to stay warm, then taking the blanket away when she asked questions or I wanted to share something...Each time I moved the blanket away from my mouth, I had a visual memory of trying to breathe through the ice encrusted scarf I often use to cover my face to keep wram while riding up a mountain on a ski lift...not a pretty picture.
Bo (my dear husband) LOVES to ski...anytime, anywhere, and has wanted to go on a Saturday evening a couple of times this year. I used to love to ski, too (even used to wonder, as a kid, why my mom didn't like skiing..I think I know now), but as I have aged I have gotten more acutely aware of the cold and really just don't like it, especially at night. It is tolerable during the day, but just really tough for me at night. It is hard to see and way too cold on the lifts. I am even a "good" skier. I love to ski in Colorado; but there it is warm while you are skiing...Virginia weather is pure chill when there is snow enough to enjoy the mountain.

Anyway, I had been witholding pics and names over the past year to protect the innocent until I got approval from my former husband. He has now okayed my posting so I am get to share a photo of my kids from last year's fun snow/ice time (this year we have had lots of the ice, but not much snow). I actually blogged about this ice storm (it came right after a snow storm) last year, on February 23rd. It is almost a "one year anniversary" day :-).
This photo was taken of a photo, so it isn't really clear. I was using my mother in laws disposable camera trying to capture the fun the kids were having playing outside. They had just finished their "penguin surfing" contests. They couldn't sled really well with the icy crust on the snow, so they would try to run some, then dive on the snow/ice and slide on their bellies down the small hill, seeing who could slide the farthest. It looked dangerous so made me a bit nervous (lots of broken bones on the ice reported locally), but they were having so much fun...

Praying that the flurries I drove through tonight might bring with them some real snow this year. I miss the snow. Ice just doesn't do the weather justice (cold and ice, brrr...cold and snow, fun fun fun). :-) However, they have barely had a full week of school since Christmas due to weather related closings, so I guess it would be best to wait until March for a really good snow; maybe 12 inches of white around the fifteenth??...:-) We have had such before in Virginia. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: