Something to Consider

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

All Roads Lead...

To His love letter.

I think this is appropriate for Valentine's Day week ~ God is always good about timing. ;-) I even see the snippet for today is "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God" (Luke 4:4). Wow (this is to myself, as I had these thoughts to share before logging on...how cool!).

In the past few months, God has put a hunger in me to really know His word in an overview format. For years I have done bible studies; several 32 week, deep studies and many shorter studies ranging from 6 to 12 weeks. In addition, I have read through books of the Bible at different times, for differing reasons. However, I have never actually read the Bible in its entirety. According to one of the classes I studied in, I have read 88% of the Bible (at least, I am not sure how that overlapped with what other things I have read), but I really have not just sat down and read it, as a series of books to absorb.

Since late October, God has had me on the path of reading His Word from front to back (though not necessarily in that order). He has shown me that He wants me to see the forest, and to step back from the trees for awhile. This is good for me, as I have been a tree hugger for quite some time ~ seeking snippets, verses, books, etc. that refreshed and revived me or that He led me to, but not just taking it all in in a relaxed mode. It has been really cool.

Then, during this phase (and no, I cannot read it like many who are "reading the bible in a year" ~ I cannot work that orderly. I read as I feel compelled, and will probably finish by late spring, but am not putting myself into a box to do this, or else I will fail), our Pastor had us doing "homework" in his current expository of the book of Galatians. Homework involved reading Galatians in several different translations. Since we have seven different versions of the Bible at home, I went ahead and read it here rather than using his internet options (though I printed one of them, as well, this past week). I have a harder time reading papers rather than a book for some reason (you can analyze it if you want, I just accept it as one of my quirks). :-) Anyway, as I digress here, I realized that it was a really neat way to hear God speak!! (Thanks, Pastor Scott!). I had different convictions in my Spirit based upon verbage and use of fluency in each different version. No Kidding, each one. I even enjoyed the KJV for a full book for one of the first times I can remember. There really is something to this reading to process versus reading to pull apart.

So, as I am daily reading through the Bible, versus reading and studying in the Bible, God is showing me the gift therein with more clarity and tangible meaning than I have ever before experienced. My areas of emptiness are rising up and becoming more pronounced (I have been having food cravings, with greater clarity as to when they occur than I had noted before) :-) God yearns to be our complete satisfaction. He yearns for us to know Him, to trust Him, and to be filled with Him, that we might grow in our reflection of Him to the world. His delight in us is so incredibly evident in the pages of His word.

I am learning that, despite my relationship with God being close and comfortable, the deeper levels come with intimacy with His word. The Letter He has written to us...with not a word unintended. Imagine that! Not one word that doesn't have meaning ~ oh if I could only speak with such clarity. I have found peace in God, I have found comfort in God, as I mentioned the day I hit my wall, I have found many things in God that have not been shakable...but the constancy of His joy has eluded me. He has shown me the answer, taking me on many roads in three months that all point to the same place ~ the fullness of His love letter, made complete in me. May I continue to be transformed "from glory to glory"(2 Cor 3:18) as I "taste and see that the Lord is good" (Psalm 34:8) Hallelujah!

No comments: