Something to Consider

Monday, September 17, 2007

Crock Pot Mom...

A few people have asked me "What on earth does 'crock pot mom' mean?" I had one gal tell me she visited my site because she thought it would have recipes. I guess I could post recipes, but my crock pot ones that I use when at work are not that exciting...

When I was deciding upon an "identity" and had been given so many warnings about not posting names online (this was a couple of years ago when I first began blogging), I tried to find a name that best reflected who I was ~ as God would name us. Honor is the name God gave me years ago when I was meditating upon what He would rename me. That one is a tough one, and I am not yet walking fully within it, plus I struggle with being judged still and don't want to add to the ammunition possible by people who float on by...

Regardless, at the time I selected the name, I was fairly immersed in major struggles with blending families with my husband. We were in the fiery furnace and didn't see freedom anywhere close...but I trusted God with all of my heart that in the midst of the heat, something fabulous would emerge, glorifying HIM fully.

When merging families, often the blender effect is chosen - all pieces get thrown together and shaken, sliced/diced and forced into a creamy mixture that resembles a wonderfully smooth drink. Any who have made smoothies know that sometimes what it appears to taste like (e.g. good, sweet, refreshing) is quite the opposite once all the parts have disappeared into "oneness." That is not the best answer for families. I believe this can lead to a sour mixture as well ~ though surface may look great. Microwaving is also an option - just put everything in and cook from the inside out. That is when we expect everyone to change their interiors to match what we want to be outside...but it is forced and harsh. Leaving a bit of a rubbery stamp upon the full effect...tougher to chew on and drier to taste...

In the crock pot, all parts are placed in and allowed to stew together slowly, simmering at the rate required for each piece...slowly, over time, a wonderful blend of indgredients emerges into a satifsying meal ~ with each piece playing a specific part. As the cooking is happening, things are added or subtracted easily to adjust the "flavor" and "texture" for a dilectable final masterpiece. I believe that God has our family in His crock pot...tendering us each in our own time, knitting us together in His master plan ~ adjusting flavors and amounts as needed ~ for a divine creation. I trust Him as Creator of all the best things, and I believe as we submit to his loving "cooking" we can become far more than we would have imagined.

Bless you all as you undergo the fires of purifying our Lord provides...enjoy the ride ~ it is an awesome privelege and experience~

No comments: