Something to Consider

Monday, June 2, 2008

What a Weekend!

We got back last night around six. Traveling all day Friday and Sunday and packing in SO MUCH fun between Friday afternoon and midnight Saturday. My goodness, I couldn't keep up that pace but boy was it a TERRIFIC getaway.

Late Friday afternoon we checked into our hotel (on the beach, presuming we would actually care, and then we realized after the weekend that neither of us were really drawn to that...how funny) and headed south to Titusville, FL. By God's grace alone we were given a GPS system in the rental car, so were able to find Bo's old house with ease. It was neat to drive around his neighborhood, talking about where he used to play, as well as driving the route he walked to school (I remember walking to school, too. I don't think they do that anymore unless it is across the street from your house...). We were also able to stop in on some old family friends of his parents, Bob and Isabelle (Izzy), who have suffered from many health challenges as of late. We spent about an hour with them discussing their lives, their home, Florida challenges (electricity outages, the need for a hurricane because of the drought) etc. It was a wonderful visit and nice to be used as an encouragement to those who have gone before us in life's trials.

After leaving their home, we headed toward the old orange grove Bo's dad used to run. Bo was going strictly on a 43 year old memory, and some info he had acquired from Bob, as to how to locate the field. We drove past a couple of groves in the approximate area before calling Bo's parents to confirm the location, then we entered the grove that used to be theirs (it was pretty run down, obviously not being used for business nay more) and spent some time in it just reminiscing. What a neat time that was. Took some pictures as well that I hope come out; it will depend on the angle of the sun and how it hit my lens. It was nearing sunset and had some bright rays shining through pretty powerfully. We didn't want to go too far into the grove lest the people who owned it be offended.

Saturday was quite an experience at Daytona Speedway. I will post on that another time. Suffice to say - Bo had a BLAST. I was tickled walking beside him all day participating in this blessed event ~ he really was enjoying each and every moment of the experience. I am so thrilled we got to do it. He was able to get up to 146 mph (about all they allowed in the independent driving), and really felt the thrill.

Leaving the speedway at 4:30 p.m. we realized that Max and Madeline (my step kids) were only two hours away (that great GPS system!), so we called and set up a date for dinner. We were able to meet them at their church and participate in their Saturday night worship event prior to going out to eat. What a double blessing that was. I really enjoyed their Pastor, and now have more of a sense about what Max shares related to the facilities and how things are run (it is a campus with a building on both sides of the road). The room we were in was set up "coffee shop casual" for the service with round tables, it doubled as a gym on other days (with many basketball nets tucked up in the eaves). The message was provocative in a good way, and the worship was just what I needed, but didn't know I had missed so much; very refreshing (I mean that I was missing my daily worship time, and this fit the bill wonderfully).

What a delight to be able to take Max and Maddie out to eat, then drop them at their home. They will be here in another week, but I was tickled to be able to see their neighborhood as I have heard so much about it. Now I can put a visual to the stories, which helps me out so much.

We tumbled into bed close to midnight Saturday, ready to leave for the airport in the morning. We arrived home yesterday exhausted but exhilerated. God has been so good to us ~ as always ~ I just can't thank Him enough. What a rich and wonderful blessing ~ All in all, a fabulous weekend retreat. :-)

No comments: