Something to Consider

Monday, March 10, 2008

Weekend to Remember

Bo and I were privileged to getaway this past weekend at Family Life's Weekend to Remember marriage conference. This is our third visit in four years. Each time we have attended, we recieve something new to bless our home and hearts. This past weekend was absolutely our best time thus far.

Our five years of marriage have been characterized by many pitfalls and landmines that God has been pulling us through to heal and restore in order to deliver our family into a new land, replete with milk and honey (Isaiah 61:1-3 has been a blessing here). He has been promising me that assuredly He will repay us for the years the locusts have eaten (see Joel 2:19-27), provided I trust in and abide in Him and His truths versus keeping my eyes on my apparent circumstances at any given moment. We have recently been on the upswing of that promise, and this weekend became our stake in the ground. Hallelujah.

I have been praying that my husband would desire to renew our vows. I have also wanted to have a formal decision made where the children were witnesses to this renewal and recommitment. It has been the desire of my heart for about six months as we have been edging out of the mire. God called us together in marriage, He has a glorious plan, which of course we cannot do by ourselves...but to use us, He needed to change us significantly. We have been through the fires of change and are truly blessed to be growing in our awareness of His most awesome grace and mercy. Anyway, He has assured me over and over that I would be blessed, in time.

This past weekend, I could not stop crying ~ tears of joy, relief, renewal, deeper connection, illumination....I was so blessed at this conference. They sold large copies of the marriage covenant which I had wanted to use for our formal decision with the kids (they have not had this available at other conferences we attended), and Bo agreed that it was something he would want to do with me...oh Praise Him for answered prayers. Not only that, but at the end of the conference the couples were invited to partake in a renewing of vows ceremony if desired...and my husband stood before I did. I am so blessed and thankful. He really does hear our hearts cry and answer our prayers beyond our wildest dreams. Oh Praise God for He is faithful and loving and true!

Last night as we were watching a Hallmark movie together, really enjoying the end of our time before work resumed today, we discussed the covenant. Bo wanted to get the pastor who married us to witness (and sign for ) our recommitment on our anniversary this month...to carry the thread of where we began, and what we have walked through, to the place where we are now. He then agreed that we could have a small ceremony with the kids when his stepkids arrive for their spring break (ideally we would do all together on our anniversary, but we are a blended family and don't often get the ideals) ;-)

Oh, joys ~ thank you most precious Lord, for being the Savior of our souls, and the lover of our hearts. Bless you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crock Pot Mom,
My name is Jeff and I'm a full time missionary on staff with FamilyLife. I just wanted you to know that it is always a joy to hear how our conferences and resources at FamilyLife play a part in providing hope and help for marriages and families around the globe. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the conference and if there is anything I can do to help you with resources or other FamilyLife materials like articles, broadcasts or resources to recommend, let me know. Blessings to you and your family as you continue to walk with the One who blesses us and who is to be Blessed!!