Something to Consider

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Questions and Answers

I was weeding through my old document files, cleaning up my computer a bit, and I came across this Q&A from my previous blog (this was two or three years ago, but answers still apply). I had fun with it then, and thought it might be enjoyed again now ~ my friend Wendy had a blog (she says she has not been on it in nearly a year so I won't link to her) and she had a time where she asked questions of her blog friends to have them answer on her site - fun and thought provoking questions based upon what she knew about each person. Some of you reading have asked me a few questions, so I thought sharing this might be helpful. :-)

1. Your life is rooted in your faith in God. What are 3 things that lead you here?

We are all seeking to fill that "empty space" (that God created within us which longs for Him). In seeking fullness, we try relationships, satisfying or validating work, drinking or other drugs, sex, busyness, adrenaline games, toys...all sorts of things - but each of these, even the best relationships, are not fully filling and do not lead to peace and contentment in all circumstances. I have filled myself with many of these “addictions” to find meaning. They all eventually led to a feeling of isolation at some point. Authentic faith in God (e.g. a relationship with Him) never has. I know this now as I have been full circle.

I have explored all angles of new age beliefs, various religions, metaphysics, healing modalities, psychic pathways, etc. Not one of them were rooted in truth that held firm through all circumstances, nor did they effectively provide me with absolutes, life changing answers, or ways out of difficult times. The only thing that has truly effected lasting change from the inside out, which I can access any time when I truly desire to, has been Christ, his Spirit, and His truths. I have grown peaceful, joyful, and more content since beginning to deepen my Christian faith walk in such a profound way that even the worst events in my life, which have been many, have proved to be character forming and beneficial. I am truly grateful for them all.

Finally, I will have to say (and I never thought I would say this, but it is so true) that studying/reading God’s Word has been the most profound aspect of my final “conversion” into absolute sold out Christianity. After taking classes in so many areas (disciple classes as well as classes in new age venues), I have learned the truth about the “living Word” – the Bible has been trialed by fire and never disproven. Historically all of what is written has been documented and now I have even seen evidence of the Old Testament stories that always seemed so far fetched such as the parting of the Red Sea, the burning of the top of Mount Sinai and all of the events in the desert during the Exodus. I have also seen irrefutable evidence of Christ’s life and the history in the New Testament. Aside from these “intellectual things” – the more I read and study, the more meaning the words take on for my life and the more sense it all makes…hence the truth behind what is written. (John 3:33 "Those who believe Him discover that God is true" NLT)

2. You went from having 2 beautiful children to 5 in a matter of months. What advice do you have for those who are starting second marriages and blending families?

The greatest advice is to center your lives upon God – each person seeking a relationship with God first, partner second. Aside from this absolute, place your partner above your children (very hard when blending as there is a protective mechanism that kicks in amazingly fast when children are concerned). Even if it means sacrificing something you think the children “need” to be normal/okay/not screwed up by your mistakes/etc. In time God will bring you together on the issues, and your stability in front of the children is worth far more for their well being than your protecting their daily emotions from events or differences between you and your partner.
God is in the business of relationships and healing. He can do these things for you and for the kids.

Also, make time for yourself as a couple a regular priority (alone time). Allow time for parents to be alone with respective children as well as full family gathering times. Expect the full blending process to take about five to seven years before there is true peace/harmony (according to what I have read, we seem to be going faster but I do attribute that to God), and enter into the relationship with a “crock pot” mentality (hence my blog). Do not microwave the relationship in an effort to prove to others (e.g. former spouses, nay sayers, etc.) that it is working or else it will explode in your face. All people must enter in as they are at that moment, and SLOWLY stew together until there is a tasty blend. Respect differences. Finally,
absolutely honor all extended family (including ex-spouses)at all times but LEAVE and CLEAVE (from parents/siblings/well-meaning friends). It is far more complicated than first marriages and too many people in the mix destines the situation for destruction. Make a pact to stay it through as the times are tough, keeping each other covered from the outside world rather than taking issues outside. It will come full circle.

3. You've had a myriad of jobs over the years from SAHM to Cranio-Sacral therapist. What has been your favorite thus far? Why? Do you hope to do something else as your children get older and more self-sufficient?

Gosh, this is a tough one…I have really enjoyed all of my jobs for so many reasons. I loved starting up the rehab facilities and shifting around/developing programs as a director of rehab/therapist with the nursing homes, but at that time I really missed working with the kids. Doing private practice was awesome in many ways, but high burn out for the intensity.

Being a SAHM is incredible and there are days I long for this still, but I would need to be involved in outside activities and probably home schooling if I weren’t working some as I become a bit tunnel visioned in focus with the children and our home. Actually, I have considered home schooling several times…God has not led me there yet.

I do love manual therapy (cranio-sacral stuff) and wouldn't mind doing this full time from home or near home, but wouldn’t want to be self-employed so it would have to be a unique position as most who do this are self-employed. I loved the pastoral work God called me to for a season, but didn’t feel equipped enough for moving it forward so was glad in a mixed way when he called me out again (I was still young in my Bible studies/faith journey). I also was having difficulty balancing time for my children (as I was involved in this while single parenting) as many of the youth activities were weekend oriented and weeknights involved bible studies and church administrative meetings. I was called out of it right after I was called to marry my husband (and then became pregnant almost immediately), so obviously God had bigger plans for my ministry. :-)

My current job, teaching is probably my favorite at the moment. I am free to do my therapy type things, while working with all ages of kids, and still having a reasonable schedule and summers/holidays off to be with my family. I really can’t beat that. I also am able to practice some manual therapy at home for/with friends and acquaintances who need help so I get to enjoy some of my favorite "traditional" therapy work as well.

I actually think I may write some day when the kids are older, or work as a family or high school guidance counselor somewhere. God has given me gifting in these areas. We will see where it plays out. I think I would enjoy anything along all of these lines (maybe He will place me in a career that blends it all!)

4. You are asked to write a eulogy for your friend who does not believe in God. What would it say?

Since a eulogy is about sharing what was good about someone, I would absolutely lift up the life of my friend first and foremost. I would also stay firm in my belief that God wants all of His children to be reconciled to Him and He invites them, even at the last hour, to accept the truth about His Son or to reject what He has offered. If this is a friend of mine, I would imagine it would be someone who is relatively friendly and open minded, so when confronted with the experiential truth of God’s love while dying (which I most certainly would have been praying for), I would pray that they had accepted Christ, and that they are at that moment experiencing the incredible joy and peace of oneness with our Creator. If they had died in a sudden accident, I would be grieving their lack of faith tremendously, especially since they were a friend whom I would have been sharing the truth with all along. I would most likely be more passionate about exhorting the persons I was delivering the eulogy to about their need for a personal relationship with Christ and the heartfelt desire they all KNOW where they will be when they die.

5. You have the opportunity to develop your own reality show. What would it be? How would you audition? What is the grand prize? (no fair saying you hate reality shows).

This is a tough question…I guess I will stick with the same vein I have been dialoguing on – Christianity. I would develop a show called Challenging Your Christianity (there is so much false religion, it is no wonder people who are non-Christians don’t get the truth). Auditions would be for families (adults are the main players) to submit their resume’s of “why they believe they are faith-filled, authentic Christians.” They would be placed in a mission field of some sort (maybe national e.g. inner-city or way out in areas without running water and electricity, or international with more “typical” mission regions of third world countries) and followed for thirty days. The family/adults that maintained their walk faithfully throughout the challenges of the new environment, while bearing witness of “fruits” of their labors, would be awarded a set amount of money (100,000 maybe) 3/4 of which would go to the mission organization, and 1/4 to the family.

No comments: