Something to Consider

Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Blessings of Halloween...

I can't believe it is already November. I am feeling a bit disconnected to "time" these days and lose track, then am amazed. :-) I love this time of year with the beautiful trees displaying their turning leaves...Fall is gorgeous in the East.

Halloween was yesterday - what a holiday filled with energy. I have very mixed feelings about Halloween. I don't like its origins, I am very grieved by the uses of the day to promote witchcraft and evil in our country, but I do enjoy watching a bunch of children who know nothing about the spiritual ramifications of the holiday get dressed up and play ~ it is precious when the young ones are so excited by their costumes and parties. I love their eagerness and pure unadulterated joy. My rules at home have always been "only costumes that are playful, not horror related" in addition to having a cut off age 0f last year being fourth or fifth grade.

Anyway, the day neared and my kids were caught up in the excitement of finding costumes (we usually use ones that are already in our dress up clothes at home) and trying things on each evening. They loved dressing up our youngest (she is three) and taking the teacher role for the holiday (her first year to celebrate). It was fun to see them all working together, looking forward to their celebration.

The greatest blessings, however, came on Halloween day. My fourth grader had lost her privilege to go trick or treating (she has been very challenged lately) and had been miserable, especially since her dad has always come to take her around our neighborhood. Blessedly, he came early to spend some time with her first. So, Michelle (fourth grade) had decided to make the most of it and dress up to hand out candy; at the end of the night she reflected that it really had been fun to chat with the kids who came to the door and to see the cute costumes on many of the young ones. Her dad, who was taking her sister Kari (first grade) around, also took our daughter, Rose (3 year old), out with them. I was elated. My very prayers for improvements in our "family" relations to support the children's emotional needs are being answered. Praise Him...He is so good.

No comments: